At Kianinny we do our best to have a low carbon footprint. In 2019 we have installed 110 solar panels to provide clean electricity to all the cottages.
Together with Milestone Chemicals, we are working hard to update all our cleaning products to fit the ‘Environmental Choice Australia’ range certified by GECA
Composting in Kianinny Bush cottages
As from July 2019, every cottage will have a FOGO bin so you can dispose of your food waste in a environmentally friendly way. Your waste will be turned into compost, which will be used to feed our kitchen garden. As our guest, you are more than welcome to help yourself to herbs growing all year round!
What is FOGO?
FOGO is Food Organics Garden Organics. With FOGO, you can put food waste including raw and cooked food and eggshells into bins with organic waste (please no meat products or bones). We then turn what goes into the bins into high quality compost at our compost area. FOGO saves on landfill and gives us all the opportunity to be smarter with waste! This project is supported by the Environmental Trust as part of the NSW EPA’s Waste Less, Recycle More initiative, funded from the waste levy.
We love living in the Bega Valley’s beautiful, pristine environment on the Far South Coast of NSW. And we know you, our visitors from all corners of the world, love it too! That is one of the reasons we have FOGO — a new, innovative way to manage food waste to reduce the environmental impact of sending it to landfill.
They are all positive reasons:
- Composting slowly and progressively feeds microorganisms into the soil and improves its quality.
- Plants that you grow in compost-fed soil are more resistant to pests and diseases.
- Composting increases the nutrients in the food that you grow.
- On average (by weight) 38% of the contents of your bin is food that can be composted. Landfill should be the last option for waste disposal. Landfills are expensive, and landfilling results in resources being lost, instead of being recycled. Around Australia, and in the Bega Valley, the rate that landfills are filling is increasing. The faster the landfill space is used, the greater the cost to the community and the environment.
- Food waste is easy to keep out of landfill. FOGO is part of a plan to improve the way we manage waste and it has both financial and environmental benefits¹.
- Composting lowers the amount of warming gases created by organic material in our landfills.
- Composting organic waste creates an excellent, full-spectrum, nutrient-rich addition that enhances the overall soil quality of our organic gardens and farms. Adding compost to gardening soil can actually boost the production of both edible and ornamental plants².